Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Analog clock...setting time

On Nov 1, 11:32*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

As a force of habit I have been resetting the clocks around the house
by only moving the hands clockwise. Somewhere along the line I was
told a clock could be damaged if you moved the hands backwards.
I have no idea of the source or validity of the information. Have I
been misled all these years?

I turn the hand backward on our vintage mantle clock. Nothing happened.
Still it keeps good time and chimes as long as I wind it up every week.

With older mechanical movements with chimes you are supposed to turn
the hands backwards, or with some clocks you can turn the hands
forward and stop at each chime interval. With electric and battery
clocks it doesn't matter.