Posted to sci.electronics.repair
The Night Tripper[_2_] The Night Tripper[_2_] is offline

Default decoder error on Toshiba DVD player?

Hi all
I have an old-ish Toshiba DVD player which until now has done good service.
Recently it's developed a fault and I'm wondering if it's likely to be
repairable.

What happens is that at intervals, the output from the player becomes tinged
with a green, or green/magenta, hue, and simultaneously lots of macroblock
type interferences occurs on the video. The audio is (mostly) OK, although
there are occasional 'chirrups'. However the actual player part appears to
be working fine - no hunting or skipping AFAICT.

If the fault occurs as you power on the unit, then it looks like the
player's 'welcome' screen is affected in a similar way. This, together with
the lack of player skipping or hunting, makes me think it's likely to be a
fault in the decoder chain - either the decoder itself (Zoran), or the
associated memory.

I have opened up the unit and cleaned the main board of dust etc. to no
effect. I am also going to try using the other video outputs the unit has -
S-VHS instead of the (I assume) RGB my scart lead is currently using. If
that fails I was going to waft a heat gun around the general area of the
Decoder and memory on the mainboard. But is there anything more ... targeted
.... I might try, before giving up on the player?

Thanks for any suggestions.

J^n