Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RFI: Brackenheath Energy Saving Floodlight with PIR

In article ,
Terry Fields writes:

Has anyone had experience of the lamps/fittings:

http://www.all-lighting.co.uk/p6804/...t-with-pir.htm

It's the 36W spiral-wound CFL security light, with PIR detector and
timer.

I haven't used one, but I've seen them in the shops, and some thoughts...

They can't possibly be equivalent to a 300W halogen. Max achievable
would be 4 x 36W = 150W. Then you need to derate this because of the
reflector being small compared with the tube size (so the tube is
significantly shadowing it's reflection), and I would guess it's
probably equivalent to something less than 100W, say 80W.

Having said that, 80W [equivalent] outdoors is plenty for most home
applications, and 300W [equivalent] is way over the top.

Fluorescent tubes are not ideal for short switching, and hence PIR
use is not ideal. (If it is a cold cathode tube, then that wouldn't
be an issue, but it would be less efficient too.)

It sounds more like you want a dusk to dawn light than a PIR.

--
Andrew Gabriel