Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Do dimmer switches work with Low Energy Bulbs?

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:28:16 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm
wrote this:-

Back to the point however, it was not the general level of environmental
Hg I was particularly concerned about (neither are desirable) - more the
local levels following breakages etc.

I think that the "health & safety" lobby is going overboard on the
subject, the usual gold plating we see in the UK from people unable
to judge risks. Open a window if someone wants, but compared to
fillings it is a minor problem.

In large numbers it is a different issue, but I very much doubt if
more than one is broken in a house at any one time. I have broken
one or two since the early 1980s (obviously the old glass jar ones
were harder to break, but the ones without a glass jar have been
around for as long in the form of the Thorn 2D).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54