Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen lighting

In article ,
writes:
On 31 Oct,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

That makes it unsuitable for any use that I can think of.
You want same colour temperature as the other lights
in the room. I recommended 3500K earlier in the thread
for a kitchen. Living areas of a home usually use lower
lighting levels, and 2700K is more appropriate in that
case.

If I could find suitable lamps I'd go up to 3500K minimum.

Trouble is, you need significantly higher lighting level
(at least twice the illuminance level) at 3500K for it to
appear natural. Doing that with 1-to-1 swap of filament
lamp for a CFL retrofit is unlikely.

Judging by what I see shining out of the windows, I think one or two of my
neighbours are using lamps of about 6500K. I suspect they are sourced from
abroad.

I see them too, and they are available here.
I often wonder if the purchase was a mistake, or if
deliberate, if they subsequently thought it was a good idea.
6000K requires 100-1000 times the illuminance level to look
natural (lookup Kruithof curve), and I doubt they replaced
one 100W lamp with 100 x 6000K retrofits!

--
Andrew Gabriel