Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Turning common pipe

On Oct 31, 5:20*pm, Gerry wrote:
How can I turn 1.5" pipe and get a decent finish. Need to make a
sleeve for a golf cart clutch and 1.5" pipe is close to the finished
size. I'd rather not have to bore a 1.62 hole in solid stock if I can
find another way

The job is to make a bushing for a golf cart clutch. ID has to be 1.62
and OD 1.80 or so. 1.5" pipe is fairly close but it just turns pretty
bad because the steel tears out leaving a poor surface. Made a hi
speed tool with about 1/8" radius and turned at 190 rpm and I get a
decent but not good surface. Carbide was much worse than HSS. Still
have to bore it to fit the shaft it rides on. I will look for some
1.5" conduit at work as it should already have a reamed ID. 12L14
would be easy to use but I just hate to start with a 2" chunk and have
to bore it out to 1.62. Bushing has to be just under 2" long. Thanks
for any ideas