Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Motor question

You've not ever said what the motor is doing. A typical squirrel
cage blower and its motor will run way over rated amps and burn
the motor up. The normal process is to get it running and
restrict the intake air until the amp draw is within spec. The
blower wheels are normally in a housing that does this, the issue
comes up if you try to run the blower out of its normal housing.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
bud-- wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
I have a 115v, 1 1/8 HP motor with a faceplate rating of 13
Amps. It
actually draws 17 Amps (according to the Kill-A-Watt) with no
load.

Does the difference mean anything important?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S.
I haven't run the motor for more than a couple of minutes...

Are you misreading 18 as 13?

The table in the NEC gives 16 amps for an "average" 1 HP 120V
motor.
That, along with the nameplate value of 13A is for a fully
loaded
motor. Are you operating with a mechanical load?

Watts might also be of interest. A 1 1/8 HP mechanical load is
840
watts. Then there are losses that add. I never looked at the
watts of
an unloaded motor. Should be far less - most of the current is
reactive.

You may be on to something - that, coupled with the limitation
of the Kill-A-Watt to 15 amps, leads me to go ahead and perform
the "Smoke Test."