Posted to alt.home.repair
MarkAllen1 MarkAllen1 is offline

Default Installing and finishing unfinished hardwood

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 7:54 pm, "MarkAllen1" wrote:
I am about to install unfinished hardwood flooring in an apartment that I
will be renting out. I went around and around trying to decide whether to
go with prefinished or unfinished hardwood etc. In the end, I think I
probably made the wrong choice. But, I already bought the unfinished
hardwood, and now I need to just go forward with it and hope for the best.

Overall, any tips, suggestions, etc. anyone has before I start the
installation would be appreciated.

You just bought it. it has to dry to the humidity of the inside. It
looks darker on sanded areas, did you cross grain sand it.

I did buy it a week ago and I placed the bundles in the rooms where it will
be going. I didn't sand across the grain.

If the way it works is that it will look darker on sanded areas (that's how
it looks to me too, so far), I am thinking that maybe I'll try putting it
down, and then applying at least a first coat of clear poly before doing any
sanding. I'm thinking that maybe that will seal in the natural wood grain
look that I am trying to maintain.