Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Flooring - Oiled or Laquered?

Tim W
wibbled on Saturday 31 October 2009 12:50

JimK
wibbled on Saturday 31 October 2009 11:41

On Oct 31, 10:29 am, Tim W wrote:
JimK
wibbled on Saturday 31 October 2009 08:02

I conclude you have no dogs or kids (or a very large house!) :))

JimK

Me or the OP?

Why?

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

you, just cos i've been meaning to chuck another coat of oil over our
floors since I did them --several years ago -- but with constant use
by untrained/untrainables there's never been a window of opp yet!

Yes I have sprogs. I went for oiled for the same reason I wax my dinig
table. It won't last as well, but whatever you do they will sustain
damage, so I'd rather have the easy to rejuvinate option

What oil do you use and how long to dry?

The proper stuff for Kahrs (which I have):

http://www.1926woodflooring.co.uk/ac...fo_710554.html

It's expensive but a little goes a long way. It's not like danish oil so
application isn't difficult or critical. It dries fast too so you can do
1/2 room at a time, moving furniture after a few hours - thus it is
possible to do it when the kids are at school. Khars have explicit
instructions for doing 1/2 room at a time.

You'll need something like this to apply it:

http://www.1926woodflooring.co.uk/ac...nfo_UFC79.html

I used a B&Q microfibre mop and that worked pretty well too. Just wash the
mop afterwards otherwise it's a bin job.

HTH

Tim

Woops - thought I'd lost the original reply, so did it again. Apparantly
not.