Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Flooring - Oiled or Laquered?

JimK
wibbled on Saturday 31 October 2009 11:41

On Oct 31, 10:29 am, Tim W wrote:
JimK
wibbled on Saturday 31 October 2009 08:02

I conclude you have no dogs or kids (or a very large house!) :))

JimK

Me or the OP?

Why?

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

you, just cos i've been meaning to chuck another coat of oil over our
floors since I did them --several years ago -- but with constant use
by untrained/untrainables there's never been a window of opp yet!

Ah. Yes I have sprogs - that's why I went for oil, like I wax my table. It
won;t last as long, but whatever you do will sustain wear (it's impossible
to avoid with kids and pets) and the oil as other's have said does
rejuvinate well, and easiliy, unlike laquer.

What oil do you use and how long to dry?

As it's a Kahrs floor, I used the recommended stuff with is this:

http://www.1926woodflooring.co.uk/ac...fo_710554.html

It's expensive, but a little goes a long way. It's not at all like danish
oil and application technique isn't that critical. It does have
instructions for doing 1/2 room at a time, wait a few hours, shove
furniture the other side and do the other 1/2.

You need one of these:

http://www.1926woodflooring.co.uk/ac...nfo_UFC79.html

But a B&Q microfibre cloth works perfectly well too - just machine wash it
immediately after use or you'll end up binning it.

HTH

Tim