Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen lighting

In article ,
Tim W writes:
Andrew Gabriel
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 21:48

One with a standard tube size like T5 (T4 can be weird), eg:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BRL0548.html

Choose lengths according to each cupboard or run (allowing space for the
connectors and the brightness should be fine.

They are old T5 technology (the 4, 6, 8, 13W short tubes).

If you have standard 60cm wide units, the new T5 tubes are
designed to exactly match these, i.e. they are multiples
of 60cm long (1x, 2x, and 3x 60cm), minus a fixed amount
(about 4cm) to allow for end-caps.
(There are some other lengths too -- actually they are all
designed to match modular ceiling panel sizes.)

For each size, there is a HO (high output) bright tube, and
a HE (high efficiency) less bright tube. I usually fit the
HO tubes on top of the cupboards, and always fit the HE tubes
under cupboards. *Make sure all the colours match - colour
835 would be my choice for a well lit kitchen.

Any pointers on where to get the new ones Andrew?

I buy the lighting components separately.
T5 electronic ballasts mainly from eBay. Have also used Farnell
and RS, but choice very limited (and often no longer stocked).
G5 lampholders and 5/8" terry clips from CPC (probably RS too).
T5 tubes from mail order suppliers. Make sure you choose ones
with the colour temperature specified, and all matching.

ie is this one?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75230/...-T5-Striplight

Yes it is. The new T5's start from 14W, whereas the old ones
go up to 13W. 14W is a HE tube (24W is the equivalent HO tube).

What would you do if you could mostly use those, but have an odd 40cm wide
islanded cupboard that you'd like to match the lighting, such as I will
have?

I have an example like this, where I've recessed a 21W 2D lamp
into the top of the cupboard. It's recessed because the cupboard
faces a step down into the kitchen from a slightly higher dining
room, and if it was on top without being recessed (and without any
cupboard top pelmets), the tube would be visible from the dining
room. I'll dig out some pictures and put them up (probably not
until next week).

You could use an 8W old type T5 tube.

When you start using multiple tube ranges, you will introduce
the additional difficulty of matching tube colours across
ranges.

Sorry for being thick - too many choices, don't have a feel for this stuff;
thought I was safe having rejected T4 in favour of T5!

T4 products are easier to find in the likes of B&Q, CPC, etc.
Just beware that when a manufacturer goes to the wall (like
Omicron seems to have), you will have to replace the fittings
too, as T4 tube sizes and power ratings are not standardised.

The other thing I prefer about T5 are the availability of the
HO (high output) tubes, which IME are better for general
lighting, but would be too bright for the task lighting where
HE (High Efficiency) tubes can be used instead.

It's worth mentioning T8 as well. T8 tubes and gear are easier
to find, and if you can hide T8 tubes, there's no reason to
avoid them. I tend to use T5 tubes because in my situation,
the T5 tubes have been easier to hide.

--
Andrew Gabriel