Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen lighting

In article ,
Jeweller writes:
Pete Verdon wrote:
Tim W wrote:

I agree with your layout - it should work nicely.

Thanks for this, and the other advice.

I'm still unsure what sort of light I should be using for the
downlighters. My impression is that this is in something of a state of
flux. I guess 12v halogens are the "default", but should I be looking at
something else as well?

I would consider making LEDs ones, but commercial ones of the right
colour and light output are still prohibitively expensive, so you
are probably stuck with halogens for the time being.

We have 8 of these in a large kitchen cieling and they serve us well.
However they are not ecologically friendly. I dislike flourescent tubes
in the cieling.
Are there any alternatives to 12v halogens (50watt) or does the industry
consider this still to be 'work in progress'?

The industry would tell you that you are using the wrong types of
lights for general lighting.

Pete is intending to use them for task lighting, which is the right
application. Hence he won't need anything like 50W nor anything like
8 of them.

--
Andrew Gabriel