Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Calor gas: propane vs. butane

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:47:58 -0000, Clive George wrote:

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message

I recall once camping in South Wales in December with a university
canoeing club where the butane cylinders we were using were only producing
a tiny flame. We balanced one on top of the other to heat it up and make
it useful...

For the tiny camping ones, putting the cylinder in the pan of water you're
boiling works well. And aren't lots of them propane/butane mix these days?
'course a petrol stove works whatever temperature :-)

I remember similar games with butane cylinders in static caravans (cheap
caving accomodation) - fortunately they had an electric kettle, so boiling
water on the cylinder was used to great effect.

In our hut near Capel Curig we were cooking breakfast on 1 burner with the
butane cylinder on the other burner (I put it there). Some alarm re.
possible explosion until I pointed out that the ice on the side meant that
the cylinder might be cool.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.