Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Motor question

John Grabowski wrote:
I have a 115v, 1 1/8 HP motor with a faceplate rating of 13 Amps. It
actually draws 17 Amps (according to the Kill-A-Watt) with no load.

Does the difference mean anything important?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S.
I haven't run the motor for more than a couple of minutes...

*With one horsepower equaling 746 watts even the nameplate rating
sounds a little high. If it is still high with your ammeter you
could have a bad bearing, but you should be able to hear that.

Let us know what you find.

The faceplate reads a clear "13.5 Amps."

Both the Kill-A-Watt (reluctantly) and a clamp-on ammeter show about 18-18.6
amps being drawn.

Interestingly, the clamp-on shows 18.5 amps on one wire and 16 on the other.
The difference must be in heat. Or condensation.