Mapdude

Default Question on flag display case

If I am correct, it is tradition that a flag used over a veterans coffin
should not be unfolded after it is given to the family member by the
honor guard. This is why the display cases should be triangular.

Mark wrote:

PC Gameplayer wrote:

Hi all:

My dad just passed away last week--since he was a USMC veteran, he got
a military funeral. As a tribute I wanted to build a flag display
case--I looked in google groups and found several different plans, but
I've got a dumb question: are the flags they put on a vet's coffin
always the same size? And what would be the final dimensions of a
display case?

If I were you I would take it to someone who mounts and frames cross
stitch and the like.

The reason for this is the chemicals that will leach out of a wooden
frame may and probably will degrade the flags material. Whites would
become brownish and the colors would become less vibrant.

Then there's the question of how you would attach the flag to the
backing. Thumb tacks? Staples? Two sided tape?

A professional framer will be able to build a frame, stretch and mount
the flag in an acid and chemical free glass covered environment.

If you want to make the frame yourself I would suggest having the framer
frame the flag in a thin metal frame and then build a second frame to
hold the first frame.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)