Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Glue for scarf on garden hoe - Where to buy Titebond Type III

On Oct 30, 4:04*am, Dan Musicant wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:38:28 -0500, dpb wrote:
wrote:

:...
:
: Better glue?
:...
:
:Possibly; the metal in the one experiment was bad idea for starters.
:
:If you can make the surfaces adequately flat for a good glue joint you
:could add glue surface by also make a saw kerf and fit a spline
:vertically although a good joint should hold--a good glue joint is as
:strong as the surrounding wood.
:
:I'd use the Titebond Type III waterproof glue since a hoe is used
utside but not expected to be subjected to immersion.
:
:In testing it has more strength than the resorcinals ("Gorilla" glue
:types) by a significant margin.

I posted a thread here on 07/12/2009:

Subject: Glue for scarf on garden hoe

Got some good responses (10-12 or so). I've been waiting for warm
weather to try a plastic resin glue I have lying around, but it hasn't
come (supposed to be at least 70 F to work OK). I am wondering reading
the thread again if I shouldn't try something else. I like the post
above, especially the spline idea, which is easily implemented with a
thin bladed saw and a rectangular slug of steel, and some decent glue. A
48+ hour epoxy would probably suffice, but think getting that Titebond
III might not be a bad idea. Does Home Depot carry it? A decent sized
hardware store?

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Dan-

Having lengthened and repaired a number of garden tools over the
years (more of a "can it be done / an academic exercise" than a
practical solution" ..here are my thoughts & expereinces.

Wood glues (Titebonds, woodworkers glue) are better than epoxies in
this application.
A 3:1 scarf is too steep, something more like 6:1 is better
A few #6 SS screws screws will help.

Buying a tool with the right length handle makes more sense. I assume
you;re wanting like a 60" handle rather than a 48" handle?
Buying a replacement handle is a faster, cheaper, easier solution.
And at this point it is probably way better way to go than a new long
handled hoe.

cheers
Bob