Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_2_] JimK[_2_] is offline

Default Flooring - Oiled or Laquered?

On Oct 30, 1:51 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

On the point of needing to buy wood (preferably engineered) flooring.
Er-indoors was taken with some B & Q stuff with contoured surface. My
concern with this is that if you need to sand it, it would be necessary to
sand all the contours out to get rid of grime, scuffs etc.
So I am trying to stear her in the direction of flat planks.
But I'm not sure of the (dis)advantages of oil over laquer finish. Which
would be easier to repair in the event of divots?
Also, any recommendations for dark (antique looking) engineered oak
suppliers?

TIA

Phil

to my eye oiled looks better but wears quicker, but is easier to patch
up and dints etc add to the character, lacquer is harder, shinier,
"moderner" and wears slower but could be a PITA to patch (as opposed
to refinish) to get the same shiny crisp "aseptic" finish....

JimK