Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Glue for scarf on garden hoe - Where to buy Titebond Type III

Dan Musicant wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:38:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:

:...

Better glue?

:...

Possibly; the metal in the one experiment was bad idea for starters.

If you can make the surfaces adequately flat for a good glue joint
you could add glue surface by also make a saw kerf and fit a spline
vertically although a good joint should hold--a good glue joint is as
strong as the surrounding wood.

I'd use the Titebond Type III waterproof glue since a hoe is used
outside but not expected to be subjected to immersion.

In testing it has more strength than the resorcinals ("Gorilla" glue
types) by a significant margin.

I posted a thread here on 07/12/2009:

Subject: Glue for scarf on garden hoe

Got some good responses (10-12 or so). I've been waiting for warm
weather to try a plastic resin glue I have lying around, but it hasn't
come (supposed to be at least 70 F to work OK). I am wondering reading
the thread again if I shouldn't try something else. I like the post
above, especially the spline idea, which is easily implemented with a
thin bladed saw and a rectangular slug of steel, and some decent
glue. A 48+ hour epoxy would probably suffice, but think getting that
Titebond III might not be a bad idea. Does Home Depot carry it? A
decent sized hardware store?

Yes & yes but Titebond II would be entirely adequate. BTW - in reference to
the post to which you replied - Gorilla glue is not resorcinol.

You would be better off using a steel dowel rather than a spline.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at