Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Turn thermostat down?

On Oct 29, 2:30*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

An additional complication is occupancy, since for folks who are retired
or work from home, or a stay at home spouse, you loose half or more of
your theoretical savings period with the occupants not being away during
the day.-

When I am working the house cools off considerably at night and the
next day and I have to fire the wood stove hotter than its efficient
range to make up in the evening. When I am home all day I keep it
warmer with about the same amount of fuel.

OTOH if I fire it normally to recover there is an obvious and
considerable savings from allowing the temperature to drop for a day
or two, as during holiday trips or when measuring the cooling and
recovery rates.

Exact numbers are difficult, outdoor temperature changes constantly
and internally the living space and basement (where the stove is) act
like two loosely coupled thermal masses that cool at different rates.
I think the house loses between 2% and 3% of the in-out difference per
hour, substantially through infiltration which I don't want to reduce
below what it is now.

jsw