Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default [Totally OT] Freecycle

"Tim W" wrote in message
mark
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 22:56

I am a member of my local group, now called Freegle. I have set it up so
that emails come direct into their own folder within Outlook Express.
Filters dump 'Taken' and 'Wanted' messages into 'Deleted Items'. Works
fine. Just remember that these groups are run by volunteers and don't
really appreciate 'advice'.

I've done that before too (though TAKEN messages are useful IMO so I
didn't
dump those). But that only works if the server bothers to send the
message!

These days, I have a generic exim filter that auto sorts by the List_ID
header so folders are automagically created whenever I join a list.

I don't go to Yahoo Groups at all, and get the messages as soon as they
are posted.

Yes - I appreciate that. Breaks my heart though when people (like my
missus)
are put off joining because the procedures are so over complicated and
unreliable. There must be a lot of people who tried to join who gave up,
at
least with a couple of my local ones...

problem is, making it better costs money and as there is no money involved
in these transactions, who's going to pay?

tim