Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do dimmer switches work with Low Energy Bulbs?

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:30:16 +0000 someone who may be Tim W
wrote this:-

Scary. Short of nuking them out of existence, what can you do. The poor sods
don't really have the luxury of the debate of "hmm, CFL or tungsten". Life
is running at a whole different level for a lot of them.

People are trying to set up a false question. Climate change
campaigners are well aware of the issues the poor face with climate
change. They are the ones who are already suffering the effects and
will suffer them most in the future. Take a look at the logos at the
bottom of http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=080_1175824841. For all
their faults, are Christian Aid, Cafod and Oxfam unaware of the
choices the poor face? I suggest they are not.

It is also false to paint all environmental organisations as being
run by rich westerners. To take one example, Friends of the Earth
policies are guided more by "southern" representatives than
"northern" ones. The influence can be seen by browsing
http://www.foei.org/

I heard an interesting set of facts last weekend. The person who
gave it didn't have the source, but I am happy to believe him.

UK population 1% of the world
UK emissions 3% of the world

Both the above are well known.

UK emissions since the start of the industrial revolution 17%

In other words we have a huge historic responsibility which we need
to discharge.

I blame it all on the chinese myself. I am sure they invented fire. They
invented everything else.

Or was it the greeks., They invented the steam engine.

Or possibly the Mesopotamians. Didn't they invent farming, responsible
for completely transforming the ecosystem and creating the sahara?

Nope. I think its all God's fault, for inventing human beings and giving
them the wherewithal to affect the environment without giving them the
understanding of the implications.

Let God sort it out.

I need more coffee.