Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Do dimmer switches work with Low Energy Bulbs?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:32:43 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm
wrote this:-

I have not checked the figures myself, but I have heard a number of
people state that more mercury is emitted in generating the extra
electricity needed to power old fashioned lamps, assuming that
generation is at the UK mix.

That may be true in the US with their more heavy reliance on coal, but
its not the case here.

The claim was made by, amongst others, a UK minister.

It may well be that, being a representative of the Labour Party,
they were lying, but I wouldn't be so sure as to make the categoric
statement you have.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54