Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default [Totally OT] Freecycle

pete
wibbled on Friday 30 October 2009 09:13

I agree about the mailing software. I find that most of the "good stuff"
has been grabbed long before my email notification arrives. The frequency
that emails are sent (and when items appear on the webite seems to be down
to the whim of the administrators: when they log in to approve new
postings. There are the occasional people who take the ****, f'r instance
recently
Wanted: Quad Core pc:

I've also got a few perl scripts that summarise the emails and there seem
to be some professional "wanters" around. However, there are also a few
"givers" who seem to post dozens of items a month, so I suppose it cancels
out.

I have 2 exim forward rules for those:

if $header_List-Id: contains "freecycle" and
$header_Subject: contains "wanted"
then
seen
finish
endif

# Generic self organising list filter
if $header_List-Id: matches "([^\.]+)"
then
save Mail/LISTS/$1
finish
endif

That sorts everything nicely

I think the latest attempts by freecycle.org to implement their own mail
list system is showing promise. I wrote and asked if they would consider
including the RFC standard "List-ID" header as it was missing. They did, in
a matter of a week or so. When my life has settled down a bit in a few
months, I should offer my time to help them - they are trying, especially
by ditching Yahoo spit

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...