Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Getting rid of the neighbor cats

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

I have a Fi-Shock unit. They are reasonably priced if you don't buy
the whole unnecessary package with all the stuff. IIRC, I got mine at
a pet shop, and it was about $30 for the basic shocker unit, which is
all you want. Zap them once or twice, and they won't come back. It's
funny as hell, too. I never knew cats could jump that high! Just put a
stainless steel bowl of food out on an insulated base, and
leave it. As you say, make sure you have a good ground. Put it in a
place where your pets or kids can't get to it. But then, if the kids
do get to it, they only have to touch it once to have their curiosity
satisfied. Plus, if it is on your property, and your neighbor cannot
see it, there's less chance for there to be problems with them when
the cat gets lit up. I have gotten rid of several wandering dogs
that got in the trash, roaming cats, and a couple of wild critters. They
learn fast. Do not try to electrify too big an area, or a long
run of fence, as then it will be more upkeep, easier to short out,
and those nosy neighbors may gripe.

Aye, thanks Steve, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. I only wish I
were able to be there to see the damn thing hit it; that would bring me
much satisfaction.

Jon

You may. Put it up on the garage roof in a place where the cat will have a
secondary surprise. Just don't call the law at 2 AM when you hear something
crashing. The more unpleasant the experience the less likely they are to
return. I've rigged mono line to empty bundles of aluminum cans, and that
can be a deterrent, too. Unless you forget and get caught on your own
petard.

Steve