Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Turn thermostat down?

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when leaving the house?
I mean, the furnace has to run to catch up when I get home. I have a way
of looking at the matter. I'll explain my point of view after the
argument is underway.

OK, Stormin, let's have your point of view now.

Poll question:

How many guys here have wives who mistakenly think that when warming up a
cooled down house the rate of temperature change produced by a typical
home heating system will be faster if they shove the thermostat setting
all the way up to 90F than if they just move it to the appropriate
setpoint.

[raises hand]

Then of course, they forget to reset it when the place reaches a
comfortable temperature which some time later causes the man of the house
to snarl, "Why the hell is it so damn hot in here?"

[raises sweaty hand]

And visa versa for A/C of course.

[raises blue, shaking hand]

It can't just only happen to me. G

Jeff

PS, I realize there may be some HVAC systems (and some wives too of
course) which don't conform to the above scenario, but they sure aren't in
the majority around here.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)