Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_2_] JimK[_2_] is offline

Default Electricity Bill Reducer Scam?

On Oct 29, 7:45 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in ...

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 12:57 pm, wrote:
Just had a strange and lengthy 'phone call claiming to be from EDF
saying they're going to send me something to plug in to halve my leccy
bills. I was then passed on to a supervisor who wanted my credit card
number "for identification". Needless to say, I declined. The line
then went dead, but someone called back. I didn't answer, but no doubt
they'll call again. 1471 says "We do not have ..."

Is this a scam? They have no conceivable need for a card number, as I
pay by direct debit, and isn't a utility bill a common means of
identification?

Chris

halving bills with a plugin box is impossible. If it were doable we'd
all have one.

A clear scam.

NT

However,
http://webnhance.com/2007/10/14/how-...ctricity-bill/
illegal but who knows?

EDF, however, are unlikely to be pushing this.

Alsohttp://www.epdonthenet.net/article.aspx?ArticleID=28266.
However the request for credit card details is a dead give away - however
technically possible (or not) any offer is they do not need your credit card
details unless they wish to take money from your credit card.
If they wished to validate your identity using a credit card they could
always read the details back to you for you to confirm.
Even then you should worry.
A firm with your details will ask for post code, address, date of birth,
account number etc. but never your credit card details.

Be afraid.
Be very afraid.

mmm

sounds like a job for the new national fraud centre that was being
enthused about on Radio 4 (you and yours?) last week
they have a website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyo...9_43_mon.shtml

"To report a fraud to the National Fraud Reporting Centre, call 0300
123 2040 or Textphone 0300 123 2050. www.direct.gov.uk/fraud"

and are rolling it out bit by bit but this to me sounds like a good
teeth cutter for them?

JimK