Posted to uk.d-i-y
Duncan Di Saudelli Duncan Di Saudelli is offline

Default why oh why ...

.... do "they" (the manufacturers) make the bit that the bolt shuts into the
same diameter, but for a few microns, as the bolt shaft?

If I fit a bolt to a door, and the "loop" that the bolt shaft shuts into
fits to the door frame, the two line up and the bolt works nicely. However,
if the door sags, or the wood expands, the sodding line-up alters by a
millimetre or so, and now the bolt is a bugger to push home.

Especially on outside doors e.g. double garage/workshop doors ... my garage
door bolt worked beautifully in the summer but now I need a bionic hand to
open/shut it.

So why aren't the bolt "loops" made to be (bolt diameter + 50%) in size, to
allow for misalignment?

(for reference: http://www.efanlock.com/files/Door_Bolt.jpg the bit on the
left's diameter is too small for the bit on the right)

DDS