Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default What duct work do I buy for dust collection

wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:53 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"jtpr" wrote in message

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.
What is it I use for this?
Thanks,
Jim

I finally bit the bullet about 3-4 years ago and bought a canister 1100 CFM
Jet DC. All of my equipment is mobile so I simply use 2, 10' clear flexable
hoses to make a single 20' hose that reaches most any where in the shop. I
have no plans to upgrade. For closer equipment the hose hangs from a hook
at the ceiling near the DC. I take it down if I need to go farther with it.
I added a quick taper connect to the end for fast connection and disconnect.
Totally dependable and trouble free. Cost, about $50.

I just bought a DC and this is basically what I'm doing now. The
problem is that the saw and planer tend to be in the middle of the
shop (read: garage) floor so the hose is always in the way. I have
the planer on a cart so it gets put away when not in use but the saw
more or less sits.
I plan on converting the area that is normally the "bonus room" above
the garage into a shop. I have to raise the floor another ~8" so I
thought I'd run the DC pipes under the floor to the saw. I'll likely
still leave the planer on the cart.

Other tools tend to stand against the walls so quick disconnects
(behind them) would seem to be a problem there, too. I'm just in the
planning stage so I'd appreciate hearing from others.

Leon has talked about his dust collection approach before, and I think what he's doing is
mostly workable and cost-effective. After years of dealing with just a shop vac (almost
totally inadequate), I bit the bullet and went with a big Grizzly cyclone with full ducting
(snap-lock) routed to all the big machines: table saw, radial-arm saw, planer, jointer, and
band saw. That too is working great, but I've *not* run ducting to my router table, Ridgid
belt/spindle sander, or drill press. Those machines need *something* because they can
create a hell of a mess, but I can't see firing up the big cyclone to catch a pee cup's
worth of dust. For those little guys, I'm still falling back on the shop-vac, which is
still semi-inadequate, and having to use it just kinda ****es me off :-) I'd also like to
have a small portable dust collector to replace the shop-vac.

I kinda see this in the same light as my bandsaw situation; I have a nice hefty 16"
eye-tal-yun made Minimax cast-iron "tank", but it would also be kinda nice to have a smaller
14" light-duty "sports car" so I could keep a 3/4" Woodslicer on the tank and a little 1/4"
curve-cutter on the sports car.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/