Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Turn thermostat down?

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

OK, Stormin, let's have your point of view now.

Poll question:

How many guys here have wives who mistakenly think that when warming up
a cooled down house the rate of temperature change produced by a typical
home heating system will be faster if they shove the thermostat setting
all the way up to 90F than if they just move it to the appropriate setpoint.

Then of course, they forget to reset it when the place reaches a
comfortable temperature which some time later causes the man of the
house to snarl, "Why the hell is it so damn hot in here?"

And visa versa for A/C of course.

It can't just only happen to me. G

Jeff

PS, I realize there may be some HVAC systems (and some wives too of
course) which don't conform to the above scenario, but they sure aren't
in the majority around here.

One of my tests for a potential girlfriend is to have here explain how a
thermostat operates. Few pass this test of course, but it sure saves a
lot of time and money.