Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

Clive George wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

"Clot" wrote in message

It is, but it is possible to be caught out as I have explained. They've
just gone and moved another restriction from 70 to 50 mph by a hundred
yards or so locally that I shall have to remember!
The point is that you shouldn't remember you should look.
You need to be able to do that anyway unless you only ever drive new
routes with supervision.

Until the point comes when you are trying to look simultaneously at the
road signs, the speedo and the rear view mirror. And fail. This is when
rigid legal style driving becomes more dangerous than not having any speed
limits at all.

Well, personally I don't try to do that. It's easy enough to spot the road
sign and adjust speed, doing the things you describe at appropriate points
rather than trying to do them all at the same time.

So you say, till the day you miss one of them.

Like the time I was driving up the M11, in the middle lane, just before
the M25, saw signs saying road works ahead, next thing guy cuts across
to take the M25 slip road, I am busy with that, getting past three
trucks, and a bloody flash goes off in my face. No way could I see the
limit signs through three trucks. Or the cones.

Didn't get a ticket for it though. Was only doing about 60 anyway. To
this day I don't know what the temporary limit actually was. 50 probably.