Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Electricity Bill Reducer Scam?

wrote in message
Just had a strange and lengthy 'phone call claiming to be from EDF
saying they're going to send me something to plug in to halve my leccy
bills. I was then passed on to a supervisor who wanted my credit card
number "for identification". Needless to say, I declined. The line
then went dead, but someone called back. I didn't answer, but no doubt
they'll call again. 1471 says "We do not have ..."

Is this a scam? They have no conceivable need for a card number, as I
pay by direct debit, and isn't a utility bill a common means of
identification?

Something very similar to this was on my local (Leeds) news only this week,
http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/s...id=12&iid=8610. A
spokeperson for the leccy company said the usual "We do not kow anything
about this, we would never ask for bank details, etc. etc,......."

HTH

John