Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:00:41 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Do nothing, climate change happens:
- we run out of fossil energy
- we lose big time

Do nothing, climate change doesn't happen:
- we run out of fossil energy
- we lose

Do something, climate change happens:
- the affects might be reduced
- we migrate to a sustainable way of life
- we win

Do something, climate change doesn't happen:
- we migrate to a sustainable way of life
- we really win

Life is inherently unsustainable.

Yes, the sun will explode but probably not in my life time...

Industrial Life is completely unsustainable. We all need more energy to
stay alive in cities now at current population densities, than we ever
did.

Great changes will take place, many millions of people will die. We
are at a turning point and the choices we make now will have affects
far down the line.

Doing nothing will lead to the total collapse of modern society and
return, probably quite quickly (weeks or months) once the crunch
point is reached, to essentially scattered small self supporting
agricultural groups.

Doing something won't allow the current extravagant modern life
styles to continue but there is a chance of using our technology in a
sensible manner to retain some aspects of comfort. By "comfort" I
mean a food/water/energy supply that you don't have to grow or carry
yourself to obtain. Sort of pre-industrial revolution but with a few
added bits of technology that can be supported. How much and which
bits of technology can be supported are dependant on our choices
today.

--
Cheers
Dave.