Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:08:42 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

So why did the Thames freeze over 200 years ago then?
Bloody volcano IIRC. Krakatoa?
1883 - 83 years after.

Tambora and others gave the world "The year without a summer" but
that was 1816.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Interesting graph, general cooling until the mid 1800's then rather
rapid warming...

Yes. The dust, which cools, settles out quicker than the CO2 which warms..

All this gotr me looking at historical volcanoes., and the last great mass
extinction. I wonder if there is any coincidence that a large asteroid
hitting the planet coincided with a massive volcanic eruption..never
thought to study the stresses on a planet when hit hard with a cosmic
bullet. I wonder..

The other thought that occurs, is that whilst we may technically have the
means to prevent climate change, as a species we don't have the supra
national political structures, the educational sophistication, and the
general mental outlook, to make it realistic.

I suspect what in fact will happen, is that lots of people will in fact
die.

Peterborough-on-Sea is coming. That'll be nice. I won't have so far to go
for a day out at the seaside ... :-)

Arfa