Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:23:57 -0000, "dennis@home"

If you can't keep an eye on your speed and know what the signs say then
you
are already driving too fast for your abilities.

For most of the time and circumstances I'd agree. But consider how
long it might take to miss a repeater sign when turning onto a main
road and 'concentrating' on the parked car you are overtaking and the
kids feet you have seen on the road underneath. Or the sign hidden
behind a parked lorry or buried in the undergrowth [1].

If you turn onto a main road with a different speed limit they are signed
before you turn.

ie, They have speed limits in the pits on race tracks but not on the
track yet not everyone dies?

Put them all in normal cars without safety cages, harnesses, crash
helmets,
etc. and a lot more would die, they have far more accidents than most
drivers but survive them through engineering.

Well maybe but whilst doing far more miles 'on the edge' in a few
minutes than most drivers will do in a lifetime. But we weren't really
talking about crash survival. ;-(

You mean they die without crashing?

A 30 mph GATSO will trigger when you go past it on an otherwise empty
road at 2am and at 40 mph if you saw the speed limit or camera or not.
It won't trigger as you knock a school kid off their bike when doing
30 mph.

Gatso cameras perform a useful function, they get drivers that habitually
speed points, fines and onto the police database.
These drivers seldom only speed but do other things like running lights,
drive too close, and generally be idiots.
he sooner they attract police attention the better.

I'm not defending poor 'care' here, just that it is possible to be
driving carefully and still miss 'information'.

If it happens often then I suggest you take some lessons or stop taking the
drugs.
Of course you wont know its happening until you have a few fines + points.

FWIW, part of why I like and have used a GPS for many years before
they became 'cool' was because I can ignore the general mess of
confusing road signs and therefore try to focus on those signs that
are important (like hazard warning and speed changes).

I have a gps with speed warning.
It tells you if you exceed the speed limit not if there is a camera there.
Its a tomtom like many people use to avoid cameras.
It shows that they intend to commit a crime if they only have it set to warn
of speed cameras.