Posted to uk.d-i-y
YAPH YAPH is offline

Default Vaillant 831 vs Worcester-Bosch 30Si vs ?

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:57:46 +0000, Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

Importantly, how reliable are these? I understand they are pretty
popular brands, so spares are unlikely to be a problem. And that's a
big thing; I had a look at Broag (hail Dr Drivel) for example and they
don't appear to have installers north of Hadrian's Wall.

Both types are probably pretty reliable. I've been fitting W-Bs for a
while and only know of one, predecessor of the current ranges, that's
given problems with the boiler itself (if you Google back a few weeks
there's also an issue with Y-plan controls which AIUI may not be confined
to W-B). I've had 2 or 3 Vaillants (only one of which I fitted: the only
one I've fitted) that have had problems ranging from howling noises when
running at full bore to leaking heat exchanger seals.

W-B's tech support is not always 100% on the ball with the more obscure
problems (such as the Y-plan issue) but at least they answer the phone.
Vaillant's are, IME, a complete waste of time. They actually suggested it
was better to email them and they'd call me back (which to be fair they
did, but that's not much help when it's next day and the customer's still
without heating in the middle of winter).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk