Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default I need a bit of help...

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:13:26 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

So anyway, this is what I'd like to have, but plainly, I'm an engineer - not
a machinist.

Perhaps it's not too late. It's not necessary to be an engineer to
invent stuff ... but it definitely helps. Likewise, it's not
necessary to be a machinist and/or welder to construct one's creations
.... but it definitely helps if such services are otherwise available.

If you lived next door, I'd gladly make this thing for you in exchange
for a boatride. I like Gunner's tripod leg idea, had the same idea.
Tripods (for spotting scopes, etc) work that way, as do some bench
rests. Both have similar requirements: desire to set "in the zone"
very quickly and remain rigid once set, coupled with a fine or vernier
adjust (like threads) capable of very fine adjustments. If I were
designing it and make it I'd use a cotter, like the quill lock on a
Bridgeport. They can engaged or disengaged about instantly, grab
very securely and they're fun to make. I've used them on a number of
projects. Some machining and welding/brazing required, they're not
found in catalogs. They're described in some detail in one of
Lautard's "Machinist's Bedside Reader" books.

Hydraulics have some interesting capabilities. If I used hydraulics
I'd use coolant (ethylene glycol or propylene glycol mixed with water)
rather than hydraulic oil. When (not if) it leaks, it's easily removed
with a hose or a slosh from a bucket. I once saw a setup like that
for remote engine controls in a dynometer cell. Don't want people in
the cell while under test because the noise can be deafening.