Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why So Much Spam Here?

On 10/28/2009 11:42 AM GregS spake thus:

In article , Jeff
Liebermann wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:48:30 -0400, Rich Webb
wrote:

Spammers can check GoogleGroups for groups with high activity in
particular areas. Go to groups.google.com and start with "explore
groups." Google does a nice job of sorting groups by activity
(days since last post), messages per month, and number of users
as well as sorting by topic, language, etc. So, I'd guess that
there may be some set of characteristics of s.e.r that attract
them.

Yep. They also check to see how many people actually click on the
inevitable URL included in the spam message. It's a tiny percentage
of the users, but that's where they allegedly make their money.
The more clicks, the more spam. (Feed the pigeons and what do you
get? More pigeons).

I have clicked on it many times, and I go directly
to the CONTACT point and send my regards.
If everybody who complains did this, there would be no spam from those
guys. Its mostly one company in China.

Wrong.

Complaining like that will have *zero* effect. Spammers just don't give
a **** how many people like you they offend. All they care about is
reaching enough suckers to sell whatever it is they're selling.

It's also a worldwide phenomonon. China has no monopoly on spam.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet