Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Thinner or Mineral Spirits?

On Oct 28, 7:27*pm, "Leon" wrote:
I just finished helping a friend paint the interior of probably our 20th
house in the last 10 years. *Typically he rolls on the latex to paint the
walls and I cut in. *Also I do most of the oil based enamel trim painting.
Through the years he has always used thinner to thin the paint and to clean
the brushes. *It has always been a pet peeve of mine to come back after
lunch and begin the trim work again. * I always clean the brush in thinner
before leaving and when I resume painting the residual thinner in the brush
blends with the paint in the brush and runs down the handle for the next
hour. *I HATE THAT! * And It never starts immediately, it begins 15 minutes
after thinking I am starting with a "basically dry" brush. *I often will
prime the brush with a very small bit of thinner but what resides after
cleaning is way way more than "a bit".

This time around he brought mineral spirits, odorless AAMOF.

I noticed,

1. *No odor, *although Swingman would testify that is smells like a refinery
13.6 miles NE of Pasadena, TX had just released .003 atoms of smelly stuff
into the atmosphere about *15 minutes prior. *;~)

2. *It works just as well as thinner for cleaning the brushes.

3. *I never once had a friggin dripping brush after lunch.

Does mineral spirits evaporate faster than thinner?

Do you use a pump-style spinner after you clean your brush?