Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
T.Alan Kraus T.Alan Kraus is offline

Default Settle an argument

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Son contends it is the fault of soldering connectors onto cable, which
heat stressed the cable. I think it is copper work hardening when
flexing cable, thinking that heat if anything (maybe to low) would
help anneal copper.

The heat was probably too low to do anything one way or the other. If
the solderer went crazy with the heat, it would have softened/annealed
the copper.

Soldering is a problem though. Or can be. What often happens is the
solder wicks up the cable beyond the connector, making it stiff and
creating stress risers. I.e., flexing the cable will create a sharp
bend where the solder ends. A crimped connection allows a more gradual
transition during flexing. Because the actual crimp is in the middle of
the connector, allowing some wiggle room between the crimp & end of
connector.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it,
Bob

I have seen aircraft wire looms, all crimped, no solder. So yes you
have a point.
cheers
T.Alan