Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

In message , Clive
George writes
"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

So you were (effectively) fined for a lapse of memory, not
concentration or attention or because you were driving familar ground
but not driving dangerously?

"Sorry, I forgot the road had a corner here"

You aren't actually driving the road by memory, you are prioritising
the important stuff, like what that kid on a bike is about to do not
if the number on a stick is the same as it was yesterday.

If you're overloaded by that information (kid on bike, number on sign), you
either need to take steps to reduce that load or increase the amount of
information you can take on. The latter means concentrating on driving, not
going on autopilot.

I very rarely concentrate on my driving, its almost exclusively handled
in the subconscious, the same with e.g. skiing or other occupations
where automatic responses are better and faster than conscious thought,
even when driving at speeds over 100mph where you wake up a bit

When I have to start concentrating on my driving, I'll prolly hand my
licence back, as I'll realise I've become as bad as dennis and clive
(what a name for a comedy duo)

There is another alternative, which is to slow down to a
level where you can cope with the amount of information coming in, but
that's clearly a ridiculous idea.

Which tells me that you shouldn't really be driving, there is no natural
ability there

--
geoff