Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default 1920's wiring....

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:32:44 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:
Yeah, I think it's all technically 230V these days actually - the UK
lowered theirs slightly (as did others) whilst some other countries on
220V upped theirs a little. It's just too ingrained in my mind such that
I'll always call the UK system 240V...

Is your 220/230 V from one hot leg to a neutral, or between two hot legs?

The ring diagam would seem to indicate that it's one hot leg to a neutral.

Yep, 'live' gives 240V (well, technically 230V) with respect to the
neutral, rather than there being two 'hots' of 120V like the US system.

Power over there is at 50Hz too rather than 60, which can have an impact
on things which derive timing from the power input (or on things with
inductive components - if I remember right the problem's in bringing
things designed for a 60Hz environment into a 50Hz one as there can be
overheating issues)

cheers

Jules