Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright Bill Wright is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 27 Oct, 22:15, Rod wrote:

the coal consumed was two hundredweight".

"Coal" in that period was commonly used to refer to any of the black,
lumpy fuels. You have to check carefully as to which was used. Even
charcoal is sometimes described as "coals" in the 16th century. "Pit
coal" or "sea coal" is the sort that we commonly know as coal.

Rubbish

Go to the National railway Museum website and email the comments section
with your question, and it will be forwarded to the relevant curator. My
daughter works there; she is stood behind me as I type this and she says the
information will be yours by return.

Bill