Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

Clot wrote:
Clive George wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:58:34 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

As a person that got caught speeding in exactly the same situation,
I have a
great deal of sympathy with your mate. In my instance, I had been
diligently
keeping to a 40 mph limit (despite a queue of cars up my tail) and
was slowing down as I came into the 30mph zone. They had just been
moved (which
I had forgotten). Low and behold there was a camera van parked just
within the 30mph zone. I swear my rear bumper was still in the
40mph when they got
me!
So you were (effectively) fined for a lapse of memory, not
concentration or attention or because you were driving familar ground
but not driving dangerously?

"Sorry, I forgot the road had a corner here"

Lapse of memory is no excuse at all. There are big circles with
numbers in them, with red borders. If you're driving with any degree
of attention whatsoever, you'll notice them.

If you claim it's a lapse of memory which caused you to not see a
speeed limit, then that's good grounds for a charge of driving
without due care and attention.

I can't agree. Driving according to the road conditions and anticipating
what hazards may lie ahead is far more important than watching out for
technical breach of the law.

failure to do either will limit your driving career.

It's important to regard both as natural hazards.