Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

"T i m" wrote in message

So you were (effectively) fined for a lapse of memory, not
concentration or attention or because you were driving familar ground
but not driving dangerously?

"Sorry, I forgot the road had a corner here"

You aren't actually driving the road by memory, you are prioritising
the important stuff, like what that kid on a bike is about to do not
if the number on a stick is the same as it was yesterday.

If you're overloaded by that information (kid on bike, number on sign), you
either need to take steps to reduce that load or increase the amount of
information you can take on. The latter means concentrating on driving, not
going on autopilot. There is another alternative, which is to slow down to a
level where you can cope with the amount of information coming in, but
that's clearly a ridiculous idea.

And I bet there wasn't a kid on a bike at the point where Clot had his
memory lapse...

Lapse of memory is no excuse at all. There are big circles with numbers in
them, with red borders. If you're driving with any degree of attention
whatsoever, you'll notice them.

Have you never been though a set of lights and suddenly had the
thought that you didn't consciously 'notice' the state of the lights
(but a glance in the mirror suggests they must have been green)?

Occasionally. And I take that as a reminder that I wasn't concentrating
adequately, and any ****up which would have resulted from that would have
been my fault. I try to learn from my mistakes.

If you claim it's a lapse of memory which caused you to not see a speeed
limit, then that's good grounds for a charge of driving without due care
and
attention.

Possibly (by your rules) but not relevant in the real (driving safety)
world.

Yes, 100% relevant in the real world. The point isn't that the number on the
stick may be different to what's safe, the point is that you should be
driving such that you know what the number on the stick is and what your
speed is without compromising your safety. Do you see the difference?