Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default I need a bit of help...

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I would use either a pneumatic cylinder or a hydraulic cylinder,
gimbaled at both ends. Connected by a clevis pin fork and tang
arrangement at the tiller. I would connect a small accumulator tank in
series with a simple ball valve where one end goes to one end of the
cylinder. The other connection of the cylinder connects in series at the
accumulator tank so that all of these are in series with each other in a
loop. When the valve is open air or fluid simply moves freely around the
system as the tiller is moved. The closing of the valve solidly locks
the tiller in that position. The key here is to use the largest internal
diameter plumbing as possible to reduce drag when the valve is open.
These parts are available surplus everywhere and they are inexpensive.
Steve

Now there is an interesting idea.

That would certainly lock it in place easy enough.
And could even be fairly easy to trim.

But the first time it piddles hydraulic fluid into my clean
cockpit it's going overboard!