Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:58:34 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

As a person that got caught speeding in exactly the same situation,
I have a great deal of sympathy with your mate. In my instance, I
had been diligently keeping to a 40 mph limit (despite a queue of
cars up my tail) and was slowing down as I came into the 30mph zone.
They had just been moved (which I had forgotten). Low and behold
there was a camera van parked just within the 30mph zone. I swear my
rear bumper was still in the 40mph when they got me!

So you were (effectively) fined for a lapse of memory, not
concentration or attention or because you were driving familar ground
but not driving dangerously?

Precisely so.

Prior to this apparent change in tack of some of the authorities, I
imagine most of us would put our hands up and pay the fine. It now
appears many people are utilising loop-holes to confuse / evade the
system. Not because they aren't guilty in a technical sense but
because they feel they aren't guilty in a realistic one.

Doesn't do much to endear one to the autorities.

Driving issues IMHO *should* be down to actual dangerous driving or
inconsiderate attitude. Those who you see jump *every* set of lights
on a particular journey, or persistently undertake and / or then cut
people up to force their way back in. Or overtake down a line of cars
at a lane closure and try to do the same [1]. They (or those they
bully) are the ones who will inevitably cause a smash / or road-rage
incident somewhere down the line, further inconveniencing many many
more people.

Wholly agree.

And then those that will drive at the limit in unsuitable conditions because
they think that it must be safe!