Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:58:34 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

As a person that got caught speeding in exactly the same situation, I have
great deal of sympathy with your mate. In my instance, I had been
diligently
keeping to a 40 mph limit (despite a queue of cars up my tail) and was
slowing down as I came into the 30mph zone. They had just been moved
(which
I had forgotten). Low and behold there was a camera van parked just within
the 30mph zone. I swear my rear bumper was still in the 40mph when they
got
me!

So you were (effectively) fined for a lapse of memory, not
concentration or attention or because you were driving familar ground
but not driving dangerously?

"Sorry, I forgot the road had a corner here"

Lapse of memory is no excuse at all. There are big circles with numbers in
them, with red borders. If you're driving with any degree of attention
whatsoever, you'll notice them.

If you claim it's a lapse of memory which caused you to not see a speeed
limit, then that's good grounds for a charge of driving without due care and
attention.