Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:58:34 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

As a person that got caught speeding in exactly the same situation, I have a
great deal of sympathy with your mate. In my instance, I had been diligently
keeping to a 40 mph limit (despite a queue of cars up my tail) and was
slowing down as I came into the 30mph zone. They had just been moved (which
I had forgotten). Low and behold there was a camera van parked just within
the 30mph zone. I swear my rear bumper was still in the 40mph when they got
me!

So you were (effectively) fined for a lapse of memory, not
concentration or attention or because you were driving familar ground
but not driving dangerously?

Prior to this apparent change in tack of some of the authorities, I
imagine most of us would put our hands up and pay the fine. It now
appears many people are utilising loop-holes to confuse / evade the
system. Not because they aren't guilty in a technical sense but
because they feel they aren't guilty in a realistic one.

Driving issues IMHO *should* be down to actual dangerous driving or
inconsiderate attitude. Those who you see jump *every* set of lights
on a particular journey, or persistently undertake and / or then cut
people up to force their way back in. Or overtake down a line of cars
at a lane closure and try to do the same [1]. They (or those they
bully) are the ones who will inevitably cause a smash / or road-rage
incident somewhere down the line, further inconveniencing many many
more people.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I wonder if they would have the guts to try the same trick at a
cinema or football match queue?