Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:48:41 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news:6o2dndAKedFxPXvXnZ2dnUVZ8rVi4p2d@brightview. co.uk...
On 27/10/09 01:23, Frank Erskine wrote:

What's the alleged advantage of an automated checkout? Clearly it
does away with a humanoid (although they still need to be such around
for, say, alcohol purchases). In RL they seem to be much slower than a
checkout manned by real people.

What they need is faster humans, such as the ones in Aldi, who are
equipped with tills designed to be fast, rather than pretty.

The problem with faster scanning is that you are still held up by the 50% of
the population who insisting on bagging everything before even thinking
about getting their purse out of their handbag with which to pay.

I bag everything up before paying. Otherwise the daft checkout droid
starts scanning the next shopper's items and they get mixed up with
mine.

Automated checkouts don't seem to have reached us in the country yet.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]