Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

Default Kill a Watt(tm) power meters

On Oct 25, 6:47*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Anybody familiar with them? *Is the "EZ" (model P4460) worth an
extra $15 over model P4400?

I want to see how much electricity my freezers, TV sets, computers,
etc are *really* using, plus check the frequency stability of my
portable generator and that little inverter than I mounted in my
truck.

The "EZ" has two enhanced features over the basic model:

1. You can enter your KWH rate and it will tell you how much - in dollars
and cents - the reading cost, and
2. Has a battery backup so it doesn't reset when the power goes off.

If you don't know how to multiply, or do not have access to a calculator, #1
may be necessary. If you want to accumulate readings over a power outage
situation, #2 might be a help.

Neither "enhancement" seems useful for the needs you have.

I guess I'm missing something here. They give you some data, but
other than curiosity, what usefullness does that data serve. Plug a
refrig into one and learn it uses x kw and costs x $ per month. But
there ain't a darn thing you can do about it except buy a new frig.
Ditto for all the other appliances you have in your home. Yeah, I can
see figuring what loads you can put on a generator, but other than
that, what 'useful' data do they provide?

KC